Community (A Modest Proposal)

Steven D'Aprano steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au
Tue Jun 15 03:30:34 EDT 2010

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:20:29 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote about IDLE:

>>   We are at once lucky to have a built in editor
>
> It is certainly a boon to someone like me who now only programs in
> Python and had no experience, let alone commitment to any of the current
> alternative.

I know that lots of people swear by IDEs, and back in Ancient Days I used
to use the THINK Pascal IDE on a Macintosh so I'm not hostile to the
idea. But in those days you could only run one app at a time, so you
needed an IDE or you'd go insane. These days I have an xterm open with a
couple of tabs in one window, an editor open in the other, and it all
Just Works. The only nuisance is when I get a traceback, I have to
manually copy the line number from the terminal window and paste it into
the Go To Line dialog in my editor, instead of the editor magically
scrolling to the right line automatically. But other than that, I don't
see the advantage of an IDE. What am I missing?

--
Steven