GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Mon Jun 14 22:56:56 EDT 2010

On 6/14/10 7:22 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> On Jun 14, 6:27 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt... at ixokai.io> wrote:
>
>> From a functionality perspective, "pack" and "grid" are both distinctly
>> less capable then wx sizers.
>
> Are you just flapping your gums or can you prove it Stephen? I will
> accept any "Pepsi Challenge" you can muster in Wx code and echo that
> same capability using Tkinter[1] in what will be no less than elegant
> simplicity. So bring it on baby!

But, as to capabilities-- the ones I use not infrequently:

  - Shaped expansion: the control maintains its aspect ratio.
  - Fitting: The parent widget is resized so that it is the right size
to contain all of its children widgets at their 'best' size (which is
configured per-widget, and not per-column; min sizes on a column is
insufficient). I absolutely adore this feature.
  - Alignment. If a widget is allocated 100x100 of space (due to
proportion rules), but not set to expand, control over if it should
center directly, or be aligned top-center or left-middle.
  - Spacers. As in a virtual 'widget' which takes up space but doesn't
really exist. Yeah, you can just put some empty looking widget in there,
but that's a hack. Still, this is only a nitpick.

I'm not interested in dueling code, but capabilities.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai