GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Mon Jun 14 20:06:33 EDT 2010

On 6/14/10 4:51 PM, AD. wrote:
> On Jun 14, 2:34 am, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt... at ixokai.io> wrote:
>> HTML+CSS have some very strong advantages. Simplicity is not one of
>> them. Precision web design these days is a dark art. (Go center an image
>> vertically and horizontally in an arbitrary sized field!)
>
> I agree, and I know that's a rhetorical question, but here goes....

"Arbitrarily sized" was the key point ;-) In that, you set the sizes of
the div's explicitly. I wasn't clear in my rhetorical question; the size
is arbitrary because you have no control over it. 	You can do horizontal
center easy; just set margin-left and margin-right to auto (and be sure
to set display: block if you're not sure which mode you'll end up).
Vertical centering outside of a table cell is a right pain in the ass.

Like so: Create an HTML single image that sits dead in the center of
your screen when your browser is maximized. Then if you adjust your
browser to be half as wide, its still in the center. Just the new center.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai