GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 18:53:44 EDT 2010

On Jun 14, 2:16 pm, lkcl <luke.leigh... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 14, 5:57 pm, rantingrick <rantingr... at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'll have to very much agree with this assessment Stephan. There
> > exists not elegant API for these "web" UI's. The people over at
> > SketchUp (my second love after python) have this problem on a daily
> > bases with WebDialogs. Even the javascript gurus have a dificult time
> > juggling javascript, CSS, and Ruby code to make these grumpy beasts
> > come to life, and when they do it ain't really pretty.
>
>  ah.  again, the "recommended" pyjamas development model vs the
> "standard" development model comes to the rescue, here.  in a pyjamas
> app, the app loads ONCE and ONLY ONCE, as one whopping great
> javascript behemoth which can be somewhere around 2mb if the original
> python (pyjamas) source is around... 15 to 20,000 lines of code.

Hmm, we have a Python API already worked out. I wonder how much
trouble it would be to get pyjamas into this API. The SketchUp folks
are just busting at the seems for a more developer friendly web dialog
environment and SketchUp WebDialogs just ain't cutting the mustard
(more like the cheese!). Let me know if you may interested in
spearheading this endeavor as i can offer my motivational skills to
push the product and help you work out a friendly API!