a +b ?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jun 13 22:24:59 EDT 2010

alex23 <wuwei23 at gmail.com> writes:

> (Although I have to say, I have little sympathy for Steven's
> hypothetical "new programmer who isn't familiar with map and reduce".

With ‘reduce’ gone in Python 3 [0], I can only interpret that as “I have
little sympathy for programmers who start with Python 3”. Is that in
line with what you meant?

> Python isn't PHP, its built-ins are nowhere near as exhaustive,
> something like 80ish vs 2000+ functions? Not exactly a huge lookup
> burden.)

The process of deprecation (‘map’ and ‘reduce’ are nowadays better
replaced with list comprehensions or generator expressions) surely
entails deprecating learning the deprecated practice for new code.

[0] <URL:http://docs.python.org/py3k/library/functions.html>

--
 \        “The fact of your own existence is the most astonishing fact |
  `\    you'll ever have to confront. Don't dare ever see your life as |