Community (A Modest Proposal)

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Sun Jun 13 20:15:57 EDT 2010

Someone Something <fordhaivat at gmail.com> writes:

> Here's the thing. Python has one of the nicest communities of most
> software projects (except maybe ubuntu), try Perl or C. Unless you
> completely know what you're talking about, have spent atleast 1/2 an
> hour researching your problem, those guys will refrain from helping.

Not entirely true, but I do agree, as a long time Perl programmer, that
the Usenet Perl community has an above average share of asshats. I have
made several attempts to fix that, recent and in the past, but it's just
a small clique of regulars that consider themselves above a lot.

Compared to that I do consider this group (I read this via Usenet) a lot
more friendly.

On the other hand, I do agree that if one wants to learn a programming
language but considers looking in the obvious places (FAQ, perldoc,
etc.) already too much work that programming isn't for that person. And
that answering such questions will soon result in a vast stream of
questions by the same person, a lot of which could've been answered by a
few hours of self-study.

Anyway, thanks everybody here for keeping this place readable ;-)

Finally, regarding the readable thing: I prefer if people don't top
post, or at least don't quote the entire message at the bottom if they
consider their reply stand alone enough to warrant a top post.

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Hacking & Hiking in Mexico -  http://johnbokma.com/