safer ctype? (was GUIs - A modest Proposal)

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Jun 13 12:51:48 EDT 2010

On 6/12/2010 11:42 PM, Gregory Ewing wrote:

> Seriously, though, if you can't trust someone to write safe
> ctypes-using code, can you trust them to write safe C code any
> better?

No, and I think you are missing the concern about ctypes. There are two
issues of ctypes versus safety/security: competance and intention. In an
environment where one is *not* allowed access to a C compiler, but is
allowed (partial) access to Python, it may make sense to remove ctypes,
alone with some other things. I am thinking of a website host, or Google
apps, perhaps.

Terry Jan Reedy