Community (A Modest Proposal)

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 12:14:59 EDT 2010

On Jun 13, 1:50 am, Stephen Hansen <me+list/pyt... at ixokai.io> wrote:

> You don't argue a position; you don't support it with facts, logic,
> reason. You start immediately into this emotional rhetoric,
> pseudo-inspirational nonsense which just comes off as inane. It's like a
> bad cross between a politician and an self-help speaker, and the crux of
> your arguments are focused on that emotional charge-- how TCL is impure,
> gross, and its inclusion makes us "less", makes us the mockery of the
> language world, how everyone loathes and detests it.

Could it be that *you* are taking my opinions and suggestions too
emotionality?

> Meaning to or not, you come across as a troll, as if these emotional

My *ends* are to move Python forward. No i do not i have all the
answers however i can look at what i do see and ask the hard
questions. Then i would like to get some "thoughtful" answers.

Instead of just simply barking down orders from the top we need to
have useful discussion on the many topics that concern Python. And not
just the "core" developers or the "core" protagonist on this list
should be involved in this discussion. Everyone needs to have a chance
to speak.

My are arguments for Tkinter/Tcl/Tk are all true. However it should be
a community decision (not my sole decision or yours!) as to whether
Tkinter stays or not. As i have said before i *do* actually use
Tkinter quite a lot (along with other libraries). But we must make a
choice, Keep Tkinter and improve it, or dump Tkinter and consider
something that will scale better for the future. I AM HAPPY EITHER
WAY!

I have documented time and again the poor state of IDLE. The only

 "Nobody uses IDLE"
 "Only a dumbass would use IDLE"
 "I have never used IDLE but i *know* nothing is wrong with it"

... and all these arguments are BS! It's just more argumentative
hyperbole that keeps these and many other modules in static
development. I am also committing to contributing code myself *if* it
will be seriously considered on the *value* of the code and NOT *who*
it originated from. But i digress...