Community (A Modest Proposal)

Jack Diederich jackdied at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 23:57:22 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 11:09 PM, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:

> -------------------------
>  Where is the community?
> -------------------------
[snip]

> You people need to get a life, drop your narcissistic attitudes and be
> more helpful, friendly, and welcoming to the wider world. This
> community is not a community, its a "Cosa Nostra". Your predator like
> behaviors are bleeding the spirit of Python's community. This
> community does not belong to you or me or even GvR, we all share an
> equal piece. And no matter how much, or little, each of use
> contribute, we all share an equally divided peice.
>
> I have spoken with "other" Python programmers (far more advanced than
> myself) who echo this sentiment. However unlike me they cannot afford
> to sacrifice their image to this group, EVEN if the group is at fault!
> However this behavior is causing Python to suffer from lack of diverse
> developers, and shrinks the pool of those who wish to participate.
>
> But i'll tell you one thing, you will never bleed me dry because i am
> stronger than all! I will be a thorn in your sides every time you pick
> on a newbie. I will point out every negative comment you make, it will
> not be hidden as you like. Whether i am accepted or assassinated i
> will create an irreversible butterfly affect that no organization of
> negativity can endure. I will bring some positive attitudes to this
> group if it's the last thing i do! That will be my contribution to
> this group, and it may just save the Python community as a whole!

8/10 on the troll scale.   Handsome work.

You are aware that python has over 120 core commiters - which is quite
large for a project of our size.  To put it differently: at a typical
PyCon any random lunch table will have someone with a commit bit
sitting at it.  900 people are listed in Misc/ACKS which is lower than
the real number because people frequently forget to include it in
their patch (or are too modest to do so).

 Furthermore the PSF now has an active program to get more people
involved with core development.   A combination of money and volunteer
time is being spent on encouraging would-be contributors to do so.

In various threads you haven't met the minimum qualifications to be
taken seriously: you have contributed no code, don't even bother to
use something that looks like a real name, and continually demand that
volunteers (which we all are) write code to fulfill your speculative
needs.

If-it-walks-like-a-troll-and-smells-like-a-troll-it's-a-troll-ly,

-Jack