GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jun 12 20:21:28 EDT 2010

Am 12.06.2010 17:33, schrieb Stephen Hansen:
> On 6/12/10 12:21 AM, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>>> Otherwise it makes certain windows-workarounds very problematic. You
>>> basically /have/ to write a C extension :|
>>
>> That's not problematic at all, for the standard library. Just write that
>> C extension.
>
> Come now, of course it is. It may not be problematic for *you*, but it
> *is* problematic for a lot of people.

Sure, but a lot of people don't contribute to the standard library. They
can happily continue to use ctypes.

Please trust me that, *for the standard library*, the requirement to
write explicit wrappers never was a problem.

> Maybe Cython'll be mature enough eventually that the stdlib could accept
> Cython-based "C" extensions for such cases.

For Cython, the issue is rather the bootstrapping issue (would we need
to incorporate it if we have Cython code in CPython?). Perhaps the
answer is "no", assuming that the generated C file also gets checked
into Python (after all, autoconf is also not distributed along with Python).

Regards,
Martin