GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Sat Jun 12 11:07:10 EDT 2010

On 6/12/10 9:44 AM, lkcl wrote:
>   that's not quite true - you can create a simple core which is easily
> extensible with third party contributions to create more comprehensive
> widgets.

That's exactly the design philosophy of Tk: a small core widget set
(recently expanded somewhat with the ttk widgets) and an API that is
easily extensible, either at the script level (megawidgets, cf. using an
entry widget and a listbox to build a combobox) or at the C level (more
complex, but hardly impossible).

I've used a browser-based app before (Adobe AIR app running in IE) and
while it wasn't horrible, I certainly did not prefer it to a native
desktop app: I got sick of waiting for the app to reload because of a
slow network connection.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin