First program

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 12 09:42:51 EDT 2010

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 10:04:02 +0000, Phil H wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 09:03:43 +0000, Phil H wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Trying my hand with Python but have had a small hiccup. Reading  'A
>> byte of Python' and created helloworld.py as directed.
>><snip>
>> Any help appreciated
>> Phil
>
> Thanks Peter & Chris for your prompt replies. The line ending was the
> problem.
> The script was written using Gedit on Ubuntu. Cannot find a setting in
> Gedit to set the line ending but it must be there somewhere so will keep
> looking. Also how do you see or check the line endings of a file?
>
> Thanks again
> Phil

You may want to try installing geany from your package manager, it is a
pretty good but lightweight editor for programming with syntax
highlighting & the option to replace tabs/spaces as req
it also handles html,php, ruby & a whole host of others.

before I found geany I also used bluefish which is probably more
sophisticated but not as lightweight.

--
The Movement Formerly Known As Open Source

The battle over the Open Source trademark is heating up.  Software in the
Public Interest and the Open Source Initiative both hold competing claims
the trademark.  In order to put an end to the infighting, a group of free
software advocates have founded the Association for the Movement Formerly
Known as Open Source (AMFKOS)

One AMFKOS founder said, "I find it ironic that a trademark representing
free
software is itself proprietary.  This situation must change.  We propose
that
the free software movement adopt another name besides 'Open Source'.
Hopefully then we can all Get-Back-To-Coding(tm) instead of fighting over
Bruce Perens' and Eric Raymond's egos."

Rumor has it that Richard Stallman plans to mount a campaign to
promote the phrase "GNU/Free Software" in place of "Open Source".
In addition, the terms "Ajar Source", "Unlocked Source", "Nude Source",
"Unclosed Source", and "Just-Type-make Software" have all
been proposed by various Usenet or Slashdot posters.