GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Fri Jun 11 17:08:27 EDT 2010

On 6/11/10 1:20 PM, rantingrick wrote:
> Run the warning. Then and *only* then can we move forward with facts.

http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22from+Tkinter+import%22
http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22import+Tkinter%22

Compared to:

http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22from+wx+import%22
http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22import+wx%22

and

http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22from+PyQT4+import%22
http://google.com/codesearch?q=%22import+PyQT4%22

-1; This most trivial and unreliable of metrics is, despite its limited
effectiveness, enough alone to show that there is sufficient usage of
Tkinter to argue against removal without a compelling replacement being
available and a migration path available for those who used Tkinter
before to make use of this replacement.

There is neither a compelling replacement ready yet (though PyGUI may
become one, sure) nor any migration path available ('just download
tkinter from pypi' is not sufficient)

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... me+list/python (AT) ixokai (DOT) io