GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Fri Jun 11 02:28:23 EDT 2010

On Jun 11, 12:48 am, "Martin v. Loewis" <mar... at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> So Tkinter is a good choice, then, as it *does* have native widgets.

And it only took how many years? ;-)

Ok i have a litmus test in mind, a way we can get a *real* idea of how
many python programmers actually want Tkinter to stay. In the next
release of Python 2.x and 3.x create a warning upon import of Tkinter
that says this...

"""
-------------------------------
 ModuleRemovalWarning: Tkinter
-------------------------------
The GUI module "Tkinter" is being considered for removal from the
Python
stdlib FOREVER. If you use Tkinter and wish for it to stay in the
stdlib
you need to visit "www.savetkinter.com" and cast your vote now. The
voting
will end on dd/mm/yyyy so make sure to cast your vote or don't be
complaining
about it later. Note: Simon Cowell WILL NOT be making a celebrity
appearance!
"""

What can pydev lose from such a test? If the numbers are large then i
will jump full force behind Tkinter. But if not, we know it's time to
act.