GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 19:16:41 EDT 2010

On Jun 10, 5:26 pm, Mark Roseman <m... at markroseman.com> wrote:
> Discounting completely and without evidence or reason the considerable
> amount of volunteer work that continues to go into Tkinter (and Tk) and
> the people who use both does not help you advance your case.

Mark,

I am in no way trying to harm your efforts. Please believe me. The
work you have done at tkdocs is wonderful! It covers all four
languages in a beautiful way, and i applaud your contributions. And
lets not forget about Fredrik Lundh and all his great contributions to
Tkinter, PIL, and more.

But don't fear losing Tkinter in the stdlib, oh no.  Actually i think
Tkinter would evolve far more quickly "outside" of Python. It will be
a metamorphosis from a cocoon of contempt into an unhindered bliss of
release cycles. Free of the py-version shackles that bind it. Free of
the contempt that haunts it. Free to grow, free to be, but always free
to you and me n form of download.

However, i must defend my statements concerning Tk's lack of a rich
widget set. They are as true as the sky is blue --on sunny days that
is ;-)