GUIs - A Modest Proposal

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 18:57:48 EDT 2010

On Jun 10, 5:17 pm, geremy condra <debat... at gmail.com> wrote:

> Whats the practical
> difference between telling somebody that either tkinter works out of
> the box or they'll have to satisfy an extra dependency and just telling
> them that they'll have to satisfy an additional dependency in the first
> place?

BIG +1

It seems that removing Tkinter from the stdlib will not only benefit
Python, but also Tkinter; due to the fact that Tkinter will not be
confined to Python's release schedules. As we've witnessed so far
almost nothing has changed since Tkinter's addition many years ago.
Heck they only just recently (py30) added a ComboBox widget! This
development cycle is not working for Tkinter, something must change.
Tkinter is just a dead weight we're lugging around for no good
reason.

- lib-tk 755KB
- idlelib 1.18MB
- Tcl 6.57MB (+togl 51.2KB)

All that footprint with such a small capability! There must be a
better option out there!