GUIs - A Modest Proposal

geremy condra debatem1 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 18:17:26 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 3:02 PM, Mark Lawrence <breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/06/2010 22:20, rantingrick wrote:
> [snip most of it]
>
>> Free up pydev and send Tkinter to the bitbucket!
>
> Great idea, but lets take this further.  I don't personally like module xyz,
> so let's free up pydev and send xyz to the bitbucket because I say so.  To
> hell with anyone elses' views, and trivial little issues like keeping
> backwards compatibility.
>
> Mark Lawrence.

I mostly agree with you, but as Stephen points out you can't exactly
count on it being present now either, which more or less renders any
guarantee of backwards compatibility moot IMO. Whats the practical
difference between telling somebody that either tkinter works out of
the box or they'll have to satisfy an extra dependency and just telling
them that they'll have to satisfy an additional dependency in the first
place?

Geremy Condra