GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jun 10 04:52:13 EDT 2010

Martin v. Loewis wrote:

> or PyGui would need to be implemented in terms of ctypes (which then
> would prevent its inclusion, because there is a policy that ctypes must
> not be used in the standard library).

Is there? I wasn't aware of that. What's the reason?

If it's because ctypes doesn't work on all platforms, then
I don't think that applies in this case, because the only
platform where it would be needed is Windows, where ctypes
does work.

> I think that the separation of pywin32 into modules is
 > somewhat arbitrary

Pywin32 does seem to have grown rather haphazardly. Some
functionality is wrapped in two different ways in different
modules, for no apparently good reason, and some other
things are wrapped incompletely or not at all. A well
thought out replacement suitable for stdlib inclusion
wouldn't go amiss.

--
Greg