GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Thu Jun 10 02:40:54 EDT 2010

Lie Ryan wrote:

> Doesn't Mac uses an X server as well?

You can run one optionally if you want, but its native
graphics system is *not* based on X11. It has a window
server, but the protocol is completely different. The
details are shrouded in mysteries known only to Apple,
but I gather it's based on PDF drawing operations.

As far as I know, there is no separate "window manager"
process -- the window server itself takes care of
drawing and managing the window decorations, and there
is no published way of overriding how it does that.

--
Greg