Another nntplib Question

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Wed Jun 9 19:47:43 EDT 2010

Anthony Papillion wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Thanks to help from this group, my statistical project is going very
> well and I'm learning a LOT about Python as I go. I'm absolutely
> falling in love with this language and I'm now thinking about using it
> for nearly all my projects.
>
> I've run into another snag with nntplib I'm hoping someone can help me
> with. I'm trying to get a list of newsgroups from the server. The
> documentation for the list() method tells me it returns a response
> (string) and a list (tuple).
>
> The list tuple contains the following: groupname, last, first, flag.
> So, thinking I could access the group name in that list like this
> ThisGroup = groupname[1].

What's a "list tuple"? It's a list of tuples.

In each of the tuples the name of the group is at index 0.

> Now, along those lines, I am wanting to retrieve some information
> about each group in the list so I thought I could do this:
>
> resp, groupinfo = server.list()
> group = (info[1] for info in groupinfo)

'group' will be a generator, not a list. If you want a list of the names
of the groups, try:

group_names = [info[0] for info in groupinfo]

> resp, count, first, last, name = server.group(group)
>
> But Python throws a TypeError and tells me I "can't concatenate str
> and generator objects'.
>
> What am I doing wrong? I've been banging my head on this for a few
> hours and simply can't get it right. I've even googled for an example
> and couldn't find one that showed how to deal with this.
>
> Can anyone help?

server.group expects the name of a single group, but you're giving it a
generator instead.