GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 17:31:15 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM, geremy condra <debatem1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Steven D'Aprano
> <steve at remove-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

> >> This is a silly argument.
> >>
> >> REs are not full programming languages, even from a theoretical point of
> >> view,
> >
> > True, but some theoretical extension to REs could be. If I've understood
> > correctly, Perl's regexes aren't actually regular expressions any more
> > (they're a superset) and might even be Turing Complete.
>
> I hereby theorize an extension to python that allows it to cook toast.
> Therefore, python is a toaster.

I don't agree with the argument that embedding tcl is just another extension
language.  See http://www.vanderburg.org/OldPages/Tcl/war/0000.html

However, I feel I should point out that it is not a theoretical extension to
regex's that makes them not regex's anymore.  Theoretical regex's are pretty
much theoretical regexes - the things that're equivalent to NFA's.  But
_in_use_ implementations of regex's are _commonly_ more expressive than
theoretical regex's - in particular, the ability to memorize an arbitrarily
long substring and match it again later in the string goes beyond what an
NFA can do.