GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Mark Roseman mark at markroseman.com
Wed Jun 9 11:48:40 EDT 2010

I'll venture to say that the path of least resistance (which includes
little or modest development effort) would be for Python to retain
Tkinter in the way it does now, but have Tkinter GUI's magically appear
less horrid.

Guess what?  That's already happened.  Newer versions of Tk (which
Tkinter uses internally of course) do look much better.

But, there are a few small API changes you'd need to make to Tkinter
programs to see that improvement.

You can find these changes and improvements talked about at
http://www.tkdocs.com

I can pretty much guarantee that continuing to share information about
these new things in Tkinter, and keeping up with modern versions of Tk,
is a whole lot less work than the massive engineering efforts people are
talking about as alternatives.

(Not to say the end results, if they were ever completed, wouldn't be
better going a different way...)

Mark