Syntax problem - cannot solve it by myself

Jorgen Grahn grahn+nntp at snipabacken.se
Wed Jun 9 07:35:59 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-09, Deadly Dirk wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 18:52:44 -0700, alex23 wrote:
>

>> Unless you have a clear need for 3rd party libraries that currently
>> don't have 3.x versions, starting with Python 3 isn't a bad idea.

But see below.

> From what I see, most of the people are still using Python 2.x. My reason
> for learning Python is the fact that my CTO decided that the new company
> standard for scripting languages will be Python.

Not a bad choice.

> I've been using Perl for
> 15 years and it was completely adequate but, apparently, Perl is no
> longer in.

I hope your CTO still lets you use Perl for the things Perl does
better (like quickly and elegantly parse huge text files, and various
one-liners). For many other tasks, I think you will quickly find
Python superior.

> I am afraid that Python3 is like Perl 6, the one with Parrot:
> everybody is reading articles about it but nobody is using it.

It seemed like that for a year or two (when people regularly called it
"Python 3000"). Now it's in use -- although perhaps not so much as you
would think when you read comp.lang.python.

I am still perfectly happy with Python 2.4 and 2.5. These are the
versions which are installed by default in modern, recent Linux
distributions.  I bet it will be years before Python 3 replaces them.

/Jorgen

--
  // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@  Oo  o.   .  .
\X/     snipabacken.se>   O  o   .