GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Tue Jun 8 21:20:36 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-06-08 at 18:12 -0700, geremy condra wrote:
> > * IronPython relies on the .Net environment for everything
> Since .Net (effectively) depends on Windows,

100% False;  not "effectively" true at all.  I run [and develop] .NET
applications on LINUX every day.  IL and the CLR are standards.

> > I don't see why that first one is so much worse than the others. Sure, it
> > adds an extra dependency to installing Python for GUI programming, but
> > that's no different to any other GUI toolkit: PyQt has Qt as a
> > dependency, PyGtk has Gtk as a dependency, etc. (I trust you're not
> > suggesting that every language needs to create its own fully-independent
> > GUI toolkit that talks directly to the hardware!)
> But we don't have any of those in the standard library.

I just don't see why this is an issue?  Every, or pretty darn close,
significant Python application depends on 3rd party
modules/component/libraries.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>