GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Mon Jun 7 19:28:43 EDT 2010

On 6/7/2010 5:25 PM, Arndt Roger Schneider wrote:
> Terry Reedy schrieb:

> Hah, You are ill-informed.

How about 'under-informed'? That I readily admit ;-)

> tkpath 0.3 contains a surface element, which renders vector graphics
> elements in an off-screen tk image.

As far as I know, tkpath is either not part of the tk that comes with
python, or not accessible via tkinter, or not documented.

> Forget postscript!

Gladly!

> Generate SVG from a tk canvas or --better-- from tkpath.
> Jeszra (from me) generates SVG.

I found http://jeszra.sourceforge.net/
It looks interesting but not quite what I need, which is to export a tk
canvas that I draw on with Python in a form I can import into OpenOffice.

  There is also a SVG export
> package available in python/tkinter, search the tkinter wiki.

I presume you mean there is a 3rd party python add-on package that
exports from a tk canvas. Can you be more specific as to what you meant?

Googling 'tkinter wiki' got me to http://tkinter.unpythonic.net/wiki/
wiki.python.org/moin/TkInter has a link to the same.
Searching there for 'svg' title or text has no hits.
Searching PyPI also turns up nothing obvious.

Googling further, I found canvasvg.py at
http://wm.ite.pl/proj/canvas2svg/index.html
via an answer to a question at
http://bytes.com/topic/python/answers/629332-saving-output-turtle-graphics
I will give it a try.