GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Adam Tauno Williams awilliam at whitemice.org
Sun Jun 6 20:52:45 EDT 2010

On Sun, 2010-06-06 at 15:55 -0700, ant wrote:
> On Jun 6, 2:22 pm, ant <shi... at uklinux.net> wrote:
> > I get the strong feeling that nobody is really happy with the state of
> > Python GUIs.
> <snip...>
> What an interesting set of responses I got!
> And - even more interesting - how few of them actually seem to think
> there is a problem, let
> alone make any attempt to move the situation forward.
> I appreciate that there are proponents of many different GUIs. I am
> asking that all step back
> from their particular interests and - for example - try to see the
> situation from the viewpoint of
> - say - a Python newbie, or an organisation that is thinking of
> switching from (example only!) Visual Basic.

Taking a step back ^H ... Hmmmm... yep, no issue here.

> The result that our hypothetical new recruit has to make a choice for
> the new, big project. Remember that
> GUIs have hundreds (sometimes thousands) of classes, functions and
> constants. Let alone idioms and design
> patterns.

Yes - this is the natural and *unavoidable* consequence of
"comprehensive".

"Those who do not reuse, are doomed to reinvent."  And reinvention
includes rediscovering the exact same problems.

>  That is what I meant by 'Our resources are being
> dissipated'; the effort of learning, remembering
> and relearning a workable subset of these is substantial.
> So it would be good to be able to use One Right Way, not try several
> (as I have - I will admit I didn't try PyQt;
> GUI fatigue was setting in by then).

This isn't a language issue;  it is a tool-chain issue.  Get a better
IDE.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam at whitemice.org> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>