Python Forum

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jun 6 20:17:39 EDT 2010

rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> writes:

> There has been many arguments here for and against Usenet. Personally
> I say the rein of Usenet is coming to its logical conclusion. Dead as
> a clavo! Much better interfaces abound.

So you say. For the interface to be “better” it needs to keep the good
features of the existing interface. I include among the good features of
Usenet:

* No need for creating a new identity; my email address is enough.

* No need for balkanising my identity; messages cross to all
  participating Usenet servers.

* Forums are kept distinct, but the easy option to cross-post is there
  when appropriate.

* The forums don't live in any single server or organisation, and new
  servers in different organisations can be added to carry the load of
  distributed messaging, so there is no machine nor organisation acting
  as single point of failure.

* A single program allows me to subscribe to one, dozens, hundreds, or
  thousands of forums, and use exactly the same interface to participate
  two-way in all of them.

* I can replace that single program with any other program that follows
  the open standards, and the same messaging interface applies exactly.

Where is the “much better interface” that improves on all of that?

--
 \         “If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all |
  `\    others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking |