Python Forum

Fri Jun 4 22:31:21 EDT 2010

On Fri, 04 Jun 2010 15:55:08 -0500, John Bokma wrote:

> "Alf P. Steinbach" <alfps at start.no> writes:
[...]
>> It started, as I see it, back in the early 90's with Playboy attempting
>> to sue anyone who used the Lena picture in photo processing tests etc.
>> (it's the standard image for that). They failed in that particular
>> endeavour, but did succeed in shutting down thousands of sites
>> worldwide displaying Playboy pictures.
>
> I know of the use of Lena. And to be honest, I agree with Playboy that
> they have the copyright.

I don't think that anyone argues that Playboy don't own the copyright.
What they don't own is the principle of fair use.

> Some of the articles published on image
> processing end up behind a paywall or in a book.

Perhaps. So what? Publishing dozens of photos from Playboy isn't fair
use. Publishing a single copy of Lena is. Fair use doesn't cease to be
fair use if you put it in a book.

> And I don't think the
> authors will be very happy if I convert their work in PDFs and offer it
> as free download on my site. Everybody wants a free ride until they have
> to create and maintain the rides in their own precious time with their
> own money.

I'm sorry, Playboy took that photo of Lena, what, thirty years ago? In
what possible sense do they have to maintain it? Do they have to
photoshop out the wrinkles each year to maintain the photo's youthful
appearance?

--
Steven