Python Forum

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Jun 4 18:24:38 EDT 2010

On 2010-06-04, John Bokma <john at castleamber.com> wrote:
> Lie Ryan <lie.1296 at gmail.com> writes:

>>> I don't think that was the point.
>>>
>>> Anyway, not everbody can pick a provider, there are plenty of places
>>> that have only one or maybe two. And if that's the choice and neither
>>> carries Usenet you have to pay for Usenet like I do. Note that I
>>> consider it well worth the 10 euros I pay for it.
>>
>> Isn't gmane available where you live? I've used gmane for newsgroups
>> that my local server doesn't carry. The only problem is that there's a
>> slight delay in opening new posts (0.5 seconds or so).
>
> I am aware of Gmane [1] but in their own words: "Gmane is a mailing list
> archive.", so it's not Usenet. It's a Usenet server which provides
> access to mailing lists. (A very cool idea).

No, it's not a Usenet server.

It's a mailing-list gateway that provides access via NNTP.  Usenet is
a peer-to-peer system that trasfers articles around between servers.

NNTP is a protocol often used to provide access to Usenet servers
(Usenet was around long before NNTP).  NNTP can be used to provide
access to other things (as Gmane does).

--
Grant