Python Forum

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Fri Jun 4 14:41:46 EDT 2010

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:

> Sure, a lot of those 1,800 posts are spam, but the spammers wouldn't
> waste their time if they didn't think there were people still on
> Usenet.

Heh, since spamming goes automatically who cares how many people it
reaches. I also see spam in which people forget to include a URL,
etc. My site is daily hit by badly written spam software.

So, no: spam is not by far any way to measure the number of readers. On
top of that, there is /no way/ to even determine how many people read a
given Usenet group.

> How do you know? Do you have evidence for this, or are you just making it
> up?

I guess the same way as your remark regarding spam: guessing (I guess) ;-)

> I happen to know at least one of the Gnus users is using News, so that's
> 1 definite News, 2 Web, 4 either News or email, and no definite email.

Fwiw: I use Usenet :-).

--
John Bokma                                                               j3b

Hacking & Hiking in Mexico -  http://johnbokma.com/