one more exception newbie query

Payal payal-python at scriptkitchen.com
Fri Jun 4 07:17:12 EDT 2010

Hi,
I will continue this problem here & take the next to the tutor list.

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 03:22:35AM -0700, Chris Rebert wrote:
> `raise Foo, "whatever"` and `raise Foo("whatever")` do the same thing;
> the former is deprecated though as it's been removed from Python 3.x

Actually I thought I could do,
raise 'any error msg string'
Now I know raise is for classes (or instances) only.

> That's *not* a constructor method signature. It's a class declaration
> saying Exception is a subclass of the class BaseException.

Thanks, got it from the example again. Just curious what you meant by,
"That's *not* a constructor method signature."

Thanks a lot.

With warm regards,
-Payal