Python as a scripting language. Alternative to bash script?

Dave Pawson dave.pawson at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 07:48:51 EDT 2010

I've a fairly long bash script and I'm wondering
how easy it would be to port to Python.

Main queries are:
Ease of calling out to bash to use something like imageMagick or Java?
Ease of grabbing return parameters? E.g. convert can return both
height and width of an image. Can this be returned to the Python program?
Can Python access the exit status of a program?

I'd prefer the advantages of using Python, just wondering if I got
so far with the port then found it wouldn't do something?

Has anyone made this comparison please?

TIA

--
Dave Pawson