Continuously running scripts question

jyoung79 at kc.rr.com jyoung79 at kc.rr.com
Fri Jun 25 11:49:56 EDT 2010

Currently, I have some scripts (in particular, applescript
'stay-open' scripts) that run continuously on a Mac through
the day.  They look in a certain folder every 30 seconds and
perform the necessary work needed.

I was curious if anyone here on the list does anything similar
with Python?  If so, do you use launchd, cron, etc in order to
start up your Python script at the appropriate time(s)?  Or do
you just let your Python code run continuously?  I'm curious of
the pros and cons with each of these.  I'm assuming launchd (or
something similar) is probably the better option since if a
script broke it would start it back up again the next time
around.  Launchd also probably doesn't use as much processing
power?

Thanks.

Jay