setup server from scratch (with or without apache?)

News123 news1234 at free.fr
Sun Jun 20 07:12:56 EDT 2010

Hi,

So far I never really had to ask this question and this is also, why I
am stil a little shaky on this topic:

So far the typical LAMP server existed already and contained already a
lot of existing PHP web applications, which I couldn't remove.
Therefore I just used mod_python to implement some minor functionality
next to it.

Now I have the opportunity to setup a server from scratch.
90% of the content will be non visual content over https with client AND
server certificates.
Access privileges will depend on the client certificate.

I will only have one IP address and only port 443.

1.) What alternatives would exist compared to apache / mod_python

2.) What disadvantage would I have using apache and mod_python compared
to other solutions

3.) What's the stability / security aspect of other solutions,
especially concerning client / server certificates

4.) How could I prepare for the case, that customer might lateron
require PHP? (not very probably, but who knows.

5.) What about mod_wsgi vs. mod_python

Thanks a lot for suggestions / ideas.