plac 0.5 is out!

Michele Simionato michele.simionato at gmail.com
Sun Jun 20 05:22:31 EDT 2010

A few weeks ago I presented on this list my most recent effort, plac.
Now there is a *huge* new release:
the size of plac and of its documentation doubled.

Now plac is much more than a simple command-line arguments parser: it
is
also a generic tool to write command languages, similar to the cmd
module in the standard library, only better. In particular plac
supports
a doctests-like functionality for each language you define for it,
as well as a plac runner to run your scripts and tests.

You define plac commands from Python functions: plac will build
a parser from the function signature and interpret the command line
accordingly.

The documentation contains a lot of simple and not so simple examples:

  http://micheles.googlecode.com/hg/plac/doc/plac.html
  http://micheles.googlecode.com/hg/plac/doc/plac_ext.html

Plac works in all versions of Python starting from Python 2.3 up to
Python 3.1, but the new features require Python 2.5.

You can download it from PyPI ($ easy_install -U plac):

  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/plac

Enjoy!

             Michele Simionato