python2.6 atexit not working with programme using threads, but python 2.5 works

Alan alanwilter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 08:11:32 EDT 2010

Hi there,

I got a code here to investigate and one big issue is that it uses threads
and have a cleanup function (that will halt the threads) called via atexit.
That all work fine with python 2.5 but when using python 2.6, if I have
threading running, atexit never calls my cleanup function. If explicitly do
cleanup(...) it works. If I have no threads on, atexit works too.

Any idea of how to debug this would very appreciated.

Thanks,

Alan

Python 2.6.5 (r265:79063, May 13 2010, 15:11:52)

Alan Wilter S. da Silva, D.Sc. - CCPN Research Associate
Department of Biochemistry, University of Cambridge.
80 Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1GA, UK.