pylint scores

News123 news1234 at free.fr
Fri Jul 30 15:18:15 EDT 2010

On 07/30/2010 03:12 PM, wheres pythonmonks wrote:
> I am starting to use pylint to look at my code and I see that it gives a rating.
> What values do experienced python programmers get on code not
> targeting the benchmark?
>
> I wrote some code, tried to keep it under 80 characters per line,
> reasonable variable names, and I got:
>
> 0.12 / 10.
>
> Is this a good score for one not targeting the benchmark?  (pylint
> running in default mode)

It's not a goodf core, but arrives easily if you never ran pylint before.
With very little effort you should be able to be above 5
with a little more effort above 7

> Somewhat related:  Is the backslash the only way to extend arguments
> to statements over multiple lines?  (e.g.)

if you have an opening parenthesis, or bracked, then you don't need a
backslash

so instead of
if longlonglonglonglonglonglonglongvar == \
        otherlonglonglonglongvar:

you could also write:

if (longlonglonglonglonglonglonglongvar ==
        otherlonglonglonglongvar):

same works of course with asserts.