newb

Mithrandir mithrandiragainwiki at mailinator.com
Tue Jul 27 22:19:59 EDT 2010

On 07/27/2010 04:07 AM, whitey wrote:
> hi all. am totally new to python and was wondering if there are any
> newsgroups that are there specifically for beginners. i have bought a
> book for $2 called "learn to program using python" by alan gauld.
> starting to read it but it was written in 2001. presuming that the
> commands and info would still be valid? any websites or books that are a
> must for beginners? any input would be much appreciated...cheers

It may also depend on which version of Python you wish to use. Since
you're a "newb", I'd probably suggest starting off with Python 3. The
version in your book is probably version 2.*. The difference is minor,
but, when you're starting off (I assume with computer languages in
general?) the difference in syntax can kick you where it hurts. Programs
that work with Python 2.*, may not work with Python 3. However, I
suggest Python 3 since it seems to be the "code of tomorrow."

It may also depend on what you wish to do with your knowledge of Python
(applications, games, web frameworks, etc.) If you want to make games, I
suggest also learning about pyGame.

As for book versus website, I started off with, as others have
mentioned, learning online. Not only is it free, but the boundary
between page and screen is broken. Note though that some off-sites
(Wikibooks for instance) may not be complete in their writing.
Python.org has a wealth of knowledge about almost everything involving
Python. However, *some* of the documentation there may not be suitable
for absolute beginners. There are several links there to other good
websites for those with no experience in coding, all the way up to a
ridiculously complicated level. I highly suggest poking around there.

If you wish to read a book instead, try:
http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-3rd/dp/1435455002/
Or go to your local library and poke there. :)

Good luck!

- --
People should read more.
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/User:MithrandirAgain
"All that is gold does not glitter,
not all those who wander are lost;
the old that is strong does not wither,
deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
a light from the shadows shall spring;
renewed shall be blade that was broken,
the crownless again shall be king."