python styles: why Use spaces around arithmetic operators?

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Tue Jul 27 07:48:24 EDT 2010

In article <mailman.1193.1280198148.1673.python-list at python.org>,
 Stephen Hansen <me+list/python at ixokai.io> wrote:

> PEP8 is a style guide. Parts of style guides are rational judgements and
> decisions based on experience and can certainly be "explained" or
> justified, but parts are just... personal taste. Style is part rational
> thought and part intuition, and in the latter -- people will disagree
> quite a bit. There's no right or wrong there. There isn't always a
> rationale.

I strongly suggest that ALL Python projects adopt PEP-8.  Here's why.

Style, at one level, doesn't really matter.  Yet, it's something people
get worked up over.  If you add up all the time people have wasted
arguing about stupid shit like indenting and where the braces go (in
languages that have them) and how to spell variable names, we could have
sent a man to Mars and had time left over to solve P = NP.

I don't agree with PEP-8 100%, but it's perfectly reasonable.  Avoiding
all that time wasting arguing about trivia like variableName vs
VariableName vs variable_name more than pays me back for any minor
arguments I might have with the style.

If everybody in the entire world uses the same style, then as people and
code move around from project to project, everybody benefits by fitting
in better.

As the old-time press pythonistas would say, "PEP-8 and be there".