Binary compatibility across Python versions?

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Mon Jul 26 15:45:05 EDT 2010

> Specifically, I'm concerned with binaries created by SWIG for a C++
> library that our project uses. We'd like to ship precompiled binaries
> for Linux, OS X and Windows for Python 2.5 and 2.6. I'm hoping that it
> is sufficient to create binaries for each Python for each platform (3
> * 2 == 6 total precompiled binaries).

For each platforms you have to provide binaries for the major CPU
architectures (X86 and X64_86), too. Users or distributions may compile
Python with UCS-2 or UCS-4 unicode width. That makes eight different
binaries for Linux (two version * two archs * UCS2/4). Although most
distributions follow the LSB standards, binaries aren't necessary ABI
compatible. C++ binaries tend to break more often than C binaries.

Have fun ;)

Christian