Socket performance

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Sun Jul 25 01:50:25 EDT 2010

On 7/23/2010 5:06 PM, Navkirat Singh wrote:
> Hey Everyone,
>
> I had a question, programming sockets, what are the things that would
> degrade performance and what steps could help in a performance boost? I
> would also appreciate being pointed to some formal documentation or
> article.

    1.  When writing to a TCP socket, write everything you have to write
        with one "send" or "write" operation if at all possible.
        Don't write a little at a time.  That results in sending small
        packets, because sockets are "flushed" after each write.

    2.  Wait for input from multiple sources by using "select".  (But
        be aware that "select" doesn't work for Windows pipes.)

				John Nagle