convert time to UTC seconds since epoch

Chris Rebert clp2 at rebertia.com
Tue Jul 20 21:57:44 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Greg Hennessy <greg.hennessy at cox.net> wrote:
> On 2010-07-21, Chris Rebert <clp2 at rebertia.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 6:31 PM, Greg Hennessy <greg.hennessy at cox.net> wrote:
>>> Given the documentation talks about "double leap seconds" which don't
>>> exist, why should this code be trusted?
>>
>> Because they exist(ed) in POSIX.
>
> Why should POSIX time calculations involving leap seconds be trusted?

I'm not saying they necessarily should, but they're standardized and
the `time` module is based on POSIX/Unix-ish assumptions; not
following POSIX would be inconsistent and problematic.
<Mr.-Mackey-voice>Breaking standards is bad, M'Kay?</Mr.-Mackey-voice>

> This is a pet peeve of mine, when will someone actually implement leap
> seconds correctly?

Well, at least there's the possibility they will be eliminated in the
future anyway, which would make their implementation a non-issue. :-)

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com