Fascinating interview by Richard Stallman at KTH on emacs history and internals

Sun Jul 18 02:49:33 EDT 2010

In message
<bd2d1d84-6090-4898-b7c2-59167fc8e1f5 at c10g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>, Nick Keighley wrote:

> On 16 July, 09:24, Mark Tarver <dr.mtar... at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 15 July, 23:21, bolega <gnuist... at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/stallman-kth.html
>>
>> > RMS lecture at KTH (Sweden), 30 October 1986
>
> did you really have to post all of this...
>
> <snip>
>
>> > read more »...
>
> ...oh sorry only about a third of it...

Still totally unnecessary, though.

>> Perhaps as an antidote
>>
>> http://danweinreb.org/blog/rebuttal-to-stallmans-story-about-the-formation-of-symbolics-and-lmi

    In other words, software that was developed at Symbolics was not given
    way for free to LMI. Is that so surprising?

Which is conceding Stallman’s point.

    Anyway, that wasn’t Symbolics’s “plan”; it was part of the MIT licensing
    agreement, the very same one that LMI signed. LMI’s changes were all
    proprietary to LMI, too.

I don’t understand this bit. The only “MIT licensing agreement” I’m aware
off _allows_ you to redistribute your copies without the source, but doesn’t
_require_ it.