Splitting numeric litterals

Fri Jul 16 21:02:51 EDT 2010

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:41:45 +0100, MRAB wrote:

>> It always makes me laugh when I receive an invoice from some company,
>> and the account number or invoice number is (e.g.) 1000000023456789.
>> Who do they think they're fooling?
>>
> It's possible that they're splitting it into fields.

Anything is possible. It's possible that they're encoding secret
instructions to their army of sleeper agents in the invoice numbers too,
but how likely is it?

Good accounting practice is to treat invoice numbers as a simple unique
numeric key. Every accounting software I've used has started the invoices
at some value N, and returned N+1, N+2, N+3, ... with the starting value
N user-configurable. But even if some software flies in the face of all
accounting principles, good database design, and common sense, by
overloading invoice numbers to include "fields" (of what?), what is the
likelihood that my fields just happen to be virtually all zero?

--
Steven