Code generator and visitor pattern

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollans.com
Thu Jul 15 14:28:47 EDT 2010

On 07/15/2010 07:58 PM, Karsten Wutzke wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is obviously a Python OO question:
>
> Since Python isn't stringly typed,

I expect this is an innocent typo, and you mean strictly.

> single-dispatch isn't available per se. So is the "double-dispatch" Visitor pattern,

Wait, what?
First of all, python is strictly typed in that every object has exactly
one type, which is different from other types. So you can't do "1"+2, as
you can in some other languages.

Anyway, this is interesting: Tell me more about how Python's dynamic
nature makes it impossible to do whatever you're trying to do. I'm
baffled. What are you trying to do, anyway?

> which is usually used
> in OO systems to implement code generators. So, what is the de facto
> method in Python to handle source code generation?

WHOA! Now if that isn't a Gedankensprung. Also, I'm still very far from
your train of thought, apparently: Now, the thing that code generators
probably share is that they write code to files. It depends on what I'm
trying to do of course, but I expect there's a good chance that if I
wrote a code generator in Python, it wouldn't be particularly
object-oriented at all.