Cpp + Python: static data dynamic initialization in *nix shared lib?

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 11:16:07 EDT 2010

On 7/13/10 2:34 AM, Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet wrote:

> PS: You (the reader) may be wondering, why why why Yet Another Python/C++
> binding? Well, because I had this great name for it, "pyni", unfortunately
> already in use. But cppy is very different from Boost: Boost is large, cppy is
> tiny; Boost has as main goal to expose arbitrary C++ code to Python, automating
> argument conversion etc., while with cppy your Python design is exposed to C++
> with no enforced arg conversions and such; Boost relies on canned magic,
> difficult to subvert when it doesn't do what you want, while with cppy you are
> (or, so far, I am) in control; and I suspect that the Boost Python binding,
> relying on dynamic registries and stuff, is not all that efficient, while cppy
> is as efficient as using the Python C API to create an extension. And besides,
> cppy supports national characters in doc strings etc. And I'm Norwegian. So. :-)

Note that Boost is not the only C++ binding out there. You may want to take a
look at the old SCXX library, which appears to be similar in intent:

   http://davidf.sjsoft.com/mirrors/mcmillan-inc/scxx.html

matplotlib uses it heavily, and their included copy may include some more recent
bugfixes and enhancements:

   http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

--
Robert Kern