Errno 9] Bad file descriptor

Steven D'Aprano steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au
Sun Jul 11 23:11:48 EDT 2010

On Sun, 11 Jul 2010 17:48:40 -0700, joblack wrote:

> I get sometimes a
>
> Errno 9 Bad file descriptor
>
> the code is too long to show it here

You can at least show the actual line that fails. Are you trying to open
a file, a named socket, a pipe or a device?

> but what are the circumstances this
> could happen? A web search showed nothing.

The first two google hits for "bad file descriptor" seem pretty relevant
to me:

http://linux.sys-con.com/node/1053821
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2003-June/009583.html

> I have especially the feeling Python 2.6 has some problems with Unicode
> ... and might not find the file. Is that possible?

Possible, but you should get

Errno 2 No such file or directory

not bad file descriptor.

If you're trying to open a file, you have a broken file system and need
to run fsck or equivalent. If it's a pipe or socket or something, you
need to tell us what it is.

--
Steven