integer >= 1 == True and integer.0 == False is bad, bad, bad!!!

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Sun Jul 11 03:53:26 EDT 2010

On 7/11/10 12:30 AM, Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet wrote:
> * Stephen Hansen, on 11.07.2010 09:19:
>> On 7/10/10 11:50 PM, rantingrick wrote:
>>>
>>> It was a typo not an on purpose misspelling
>>
>> If this had been the first time, perhaps. If you had not in *numerous*
>> previous times spelled my name correctly, perhaps. If it were at all
>> possible for "f" to be a typo of "ph", perhaps.
>
> It is a natural mistake to make in some languages. E.g. in Norwegian the
> Devil can be spelled Faen or Fanden (modern) or Phanden (old-fashioned,
> no longer in dictionaries but still used to sort of tone down the
> expression). It's even there in English, like "file" and "philosophy".
> So it's an error committed not by the limbic system but by a slightly
> higher level sound-to-text translator brain circuit. The text is
> generated from how the word sounds in one's head.

I'm aware of the "f" vs "v" vs "ph" thing, and the complexity of it
between languages and between the spoken verses written nature of
language. And for most instances, I'd just idly note, hey-- "My name is
Stephen" and leave it at that -- but this is not the first time with
I've run into it with this person, and neither is it the first time I've
responded to him and politely corrected him.

That, and I have seen absolutely no reason to think this person speaks
anything but standard American English. He has, for example, gone so far
as to create a rant which declared quite vocally that everyone should
adopt English, destroy Unicode and the usage of any other language, and
that anyone who didn't follow through with this was ultimately hurting
humanity. That any programmer which cow-towed towards this evil empire
of Unicodeness was just embracing separatism and decisiveness.

When this guy on more then one occasion chooses to articulate my name
improperly, I take it as an underhanded act with no purpose but to
belittle my point of view.

So yes. The first time, its a natural mistake, and I hold no hard
feelings. I regularly deal with people who misspell my name and
mispronounce my name. A polite correction invariably solves the problem,
and we are all happy.

But if one then makes the mistake again-- and in an entirely different
way (Stefan vs Steven) then they were politely corrected before-- its no
longer an issue of linguistic confusion at that point. At that point, I
have to assume he's doing it on purpose, and for the sole purpose of
being disrespectful and disparaging.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai