any issues with long running python apps?

Christian Heimes lists at cheimes.de
Fri Jul 9 15:58:35 EDT 2010

> but none of this has anything to do with Python itself. i am sure python
> servers have been running reliably for long periods of time, but i've
> never had to deal with a two-month guarantee before.  is there something
> else i am missing here that i should be concerned about on the
> pure-Python side of things? something under the hood of the python
> interpreter that could be problematic when run for a long time?

At our company we have long running Python processes with an uptime of
60, 90 days or more. Python is up to the challenge. ;)

But it's a challenge to keep any process written in any programming
language running for two months or more. If I were in your case I would
split up the work across multiple python process. One guardian process
that keeps the other processes alive and checks if they are still
reacting on events, another process that reads data from the serial port
and writes it to a database or file and a third process to process the
data. Small processes reduce the chance of an error. I assume that the
"read from serial port" part is the mission critical element of your app.

Christian