Opinions please -- how big should a single module grow?

Nathan Rice nathan.alexander.rice at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 09:25:57 EDT 2010

I start to look at whether some subset of functions or classes are not
referenced by other subsets of functions or classes in a module when it gets
to about 1K LoC, and if I don't find any by the time it gets to about 1500
LoC, I start to look at ways I can refactor the code in the module to be
less coupled.  This might just be anecdotal, but in all the python libraries
I've looked at (including the larger 30K+ LoC ones) the quality of code in a
module tends to be lower if the module is over around 1500 LoC.